If you’re a regular reader of the Charleston Daily Mail, you probably notice new names from time to time. You see the work and the name, but we don’t always tell you much more.
I’d like to start letting you know more often about the people who give the paper its personality.
The most recent new name you probably see is Andrea Lannom. Wanna know more? Read on:
Position at the Daily Mail:
general assignment reporter
With a degree in:
Communications with an emphasis in public relations
1. What was your first job? Cashier at Winterplace Ski Resort
2. What made you want to become a journalist? I fell in love with the profession in high school when I had to do my senior project. As part of my project, I wrote feature stories at my hometown newspaper, The Register-Herald. I always enjoyed writing; so, it just fit. From there, the rest is history. I’ve been a journalist ever since.
3. What do you like most about your job? The least? It’s so hard to pick one thing I like the best about my job because I love absolutely everything about being a journalist. I love talking to people, researching, and digging deep to get the real story. Honestly, I can’t think of much I don’t like.
4. What do you do in your spare time? A bit of everything — ice skating, painting, reading, archery, zumba and yoga, to name a few. I like to be active and keep my mind engaged.
5. What’s your favorite journalistic effort you’ve produced? My favorite pieces have been those where I’ve had to work past the normal workday, travel and meet all sorts of interesting people. One of my favorites was a series I produced on the health of West Virginians, where I traveled to Mingo and McDowell counties to see why the counties were ranked so unhealthy and what the local communities were doing about it.
6. Name a personal item that is or will be on your desk:
I have a painting I did on West Virginia’s 150th celebration. (See over there ——->)
7. Your favorite blog you read or Twitter feed you follow: Probably, my favorite Twitter feed deals with Karl Pilkington quotes.
8. What’s your TV show? Book? Doctor Who, for sure. For my favorite book– it would be between The Time Machine and Rebecca.
9. What’s your favorite place in West Virginia? Besides Charleston, I love the Franklin/Seneca Rocks area.
10. What’s one newsroom quirk you were surprised about? Here, I was surprised at the amount of fellow Doctor Who fans.
Tags: Andrea Lannom