Great shooting by Charleston Daily Mail photographer Tom Hindman, who was honored with the West Virginia Press Association’s Photo of the Year award.
The photo was one Tom shot during last summer’s Boy Scout Jamboree in Fayette County, WV. It showed a sea of scouts standing at attention. It was a grabber for us at the time — we played it big on the front page. And the West Virginia Better Newspaper Contest judges (who are journalists from another state) liked it too.
The thing is, this isn’t Tom’s first time being honored for great shots.
3 years in a row http://t.co/dFLDOTWeq4
— TomHindman (@TomHindman) August 10, 2014
Yep, it was Tom’s third straight year to win the Photo of the Year award.
Brilliance, plus consistency.
That photo also placed first in the news feature photo category. Hindman also won best sports photo and placed third for best news photo.
Other Daily Mail staffers did well too. The Charleston Daily Mail was awarded with “General Excellence” for racking up the most points among West Virginia newspapers its size for stories, photos, headlines and designs.
The Daily Mail’s edition marking the state’s 150th birthday was recognized for best single issue.
Daily Mail Editor and Publisher Brad McElhinny won best columnist. Neediest Cases, the newspaper’s annual effort to help those in need during the Christmas season, placed first for service to the community.
In all, the newspaper won 26 awards. The other awards were:
• For Best Lifestyle Columnist, “Chickens in the Road” writer Suzanne McMinn placed first and “Ask the Vet” Allison Dascoli placed second.
• Former Life Editor Monica Orosz placed third for Best Lifestyle Page.
• Former staff writer Candace Nelson placed third for best written news story.
• The staff received second place for best headline, third place for best special sports section, second place for best sports page, and first and second place for best front page.
• Graphic artist Kevin Cade received second and third place for best cartoon or drawing.
• Orosz won second place for best lifestyle feature writing.
• Writers Matt Murphy and Dave Boucher placed third for governmental reporting.
• Business Editor Jared Hunt won third place for coverage of business and labor.
• Photographer Craig Cunningham won second place for feature photography.
• Opinion Editor Kelly Merritt won third place for best editorial page.
• Former editor and publisher Nanya Friend won second place for best columnist.
• Managing Editor Philip Maramba won second place for best newspaper design.
Congrats to everyone for another year of great work.
(Oh, and want to have access to these great pictures and vigorous WV journalism on a regular basis? Subscribe by going here: http://www.charlestondailymail.com/dm/Subscribe or call customer service at 304-348-4800.)
Brad McElhinny is the editor and publisher of The Charleston Daily Mail. Brad McElhinny is editor and publisher of The Charleston Daily Mail. I’m a Parkersburg native and a Marshall graduate. I live in Charleston with my wife — we’ll call her “Karen” — my two little girls, an easily excitable terrier, an aging obese cat and, now, a kitten named “Sweetie.” Read more from this author