Mousse is one of those desserts I had never made at home because I mistakenly thought it would be too complicated – or just time-consuming – to prepare. I mean, how could something so delightfully luscious be easy, right?
How wrong I was!
I ran across a super-simple recipe last night and whipped up a fantastic dessert in mere minutes. Plus I learned a valuable lesson along the way. (More on that later. Oooh, foreshadowing!)
Here’s all you need to do:
- Whip 1 cup of heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form and place in refrigerator.
- Melt 5 ounces of chocolate, any style or flavor, over a double boiler, whisking until smooth. (I used chopped-up milk chocolate bars, but would’ve preferred dark. You can use chocolate baking squares or chips, too.)
- When chocolate melts, stir in a splash of vanilla and your choice of liqueur, for added flavor, if desired.
- Then fold chocolate into whipped cream until combined and spoon into dessert cups. Chill until set.
So easy, but oh so good.
And I also successfully – for the first time – rescued chocolate that has seized. If you’ve worked with chocolate much, you know what I’m talking about. If chocolate comes in contact with even the tiniest amount of water while melting, it immediately hardens into a clumpy mess, rendering it unusable. When this has happened to me before, I’ve tried doing what all the books say – just add a bit of cream or butter or oil and stir it back to its proper consistency. Never works.
Last night my chocolate revolted when I added a little Bailey’s Irish Cream. Turns out the cream base was the problem, so next time I’ll use the rum or brandy suggested. But never fear. I just returned the pan to the double-boiler for a minute and the hardened chocolate quickly re-melted to the same perfect consistency I had before. And once it was mixed in with the cream, no one knew a thing.
Until now, I guess!