Some of the same ingredients you use in your cooking can help with cleaning, too. Items like vanilla, eggs and vinegar can remove tough dirt and dust or give off a warm, fresh scent. What’s more, using food items is an easy, chemical-free way to clean up around the house.
Nielsen-Massey Vanillas – makers of quality pure vanilla and flavor extracts (c’mon, you knew there had to be a corporate plug) – has a variety of spring-cleaning tips to freshen homes with flavorful ingredients straight from the kitchen. (Their words, not mine.)
A few tips include:
- Saturate a cotton ball in vanilla and drop it in the vacuum or vacuum bag to release a sweet scent. A vanilla-drenched cotton ball can also deodorize the refrigerator or freezer.
- To remove a coffee stain from fabric, dip a white cloth into a beaten egg yolk and rub the yolk into the stain. Then rinse with water.
- After cleaning the refrigerator, add a dash of lemon extract to the rinse water for a fresh scent.
- Place vanilla beans in drawers, under car seats and in laundry rooms to act as air fresheners.
- Place a bowl of vinegar in an open room to absorb smoke odors.
- Use club soda or seltzer water to clean chrome on faucets, utensils, etc.
Tags: food and cleaning