Writing about great new food discoveries the past few weeks got me thinking about my all-time favorite snacks – the things I love to nosh on when I get the munchies.
It’s an interesting selection, because I really don’t do potato chips (not healthfully high-and-mighty, just don’t care for the taste) yet I really don’t get jazzed up over carrot sticks, either. I mean, really.
So over the years I’ve assembled a hit list of go-to goodies that not only stop a rumbling tummy, but also taste great.
1. Cheese and crackers, but good quality crackers with really nice cheese. Nothing sprayed out of a can.
2. Pita and hummus – Spice it, garlic it or herbify it; just keep it coming.
3. Steamed edamame showered with sea salt.
4. Holy guacamole! Not the best-looking item on the table, but it still tastes great.
5. Marcona almonds, toasted with a little olive oil and dusted with salt.
6. Or, for something sweet, dark chocolate-covered almonds.
7. The sesame sticks and dark bagel chips picked out of a bowl or bag of party mix. (Yes, I’m that guy.)
8. Deli or homemade curry chicken salad on crackers, toast or just out of the container.
9. Mediterranean Terra Chips – An exception to my “no potato chip” rule, along with …
10. Funyons. (I know, but I stand by my choice.)
So what do you eat when you get the munchies?