WVU Sports Chat with Mike Casazza is tomorrow at 2 p.m. Be there … or drop your questions in the queue now … or in the comments section here. Possible talking points? Who’s playing quarterback for Louisville or right tackle for WVU?
This entry was posted
on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 2:00 pm and is filed under Uncategorized.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
And then there is this:
Maybe SunStew was crazy like a fox. He didn’t want to answer the question, so he only pretended not to understand, nah, probably not.
Question for the chat: Do you know why Noel doesn’t want to talk with the media? Is he upset about something, or is he just press shy?
Do you think Bill Stewart has a “Decoding Mike Casazza” section in his diary?
And now it’s time for another entertaining installment of “DECODING MIKE CASAZZA!”
Casazza: Bill, their running back is a little bit …
Stew: Which their?
Casazza: The other team’s. (1)
Stew: Powell or …
Stew: …Anderson or …
Casazza: Bilal Powell.
Stew: He’s not the only one now, ya’ll keep saying Powell.
Casazza: Their guy who is top five in the country. (2)
Stew: He’s pretty good.
Casazza: Very good. Very quiet, too. A little bit like your guy, too. (3) Doesn’t do a lot of interviews and has, despite that, become the face of the offense, the face of the program.
Casazza: How does that work, when a guy who would prefer to stay out of the public eye is the guy you put on media guides and really people identify with on the outside looking in. How does that work? (4)
Stew: Well, Mike, I don’t know that young man.
Casazza: I am just saying in your situation. (5)
Stew: I see him as a competitor. I think that is a tribute to the kind of young man, to his parental guidance and how he was raised as a young man. He looks to me like he’s the heartbeat, so to speak, of that offense and he’s tough to bring down. Powell is tough to bring down. That’s why they put him back there in the Wildcat; you’re going to look up there and see 15 right there taking snaps and say ‘oh boy, he comes motion and things.’ It is good for young men, I hope he has a tremendous career except for this Saturday.
Casazza: In your situation though, where a guy like Noel, how does he do it behind closed doors? Behind the locker room doors, but, again we haven’t seen him for awhile? (6) I don’t want to bring all that up but you see it is two different guys. How do they ….
Stew: I don’t know. I don’t know the other young man, so …
Casazza: I’m talking about your guy. No, no your guy. (7)
Stew: I don’t know what you mean.
Casazza: There’s the team guy, that we hardly see and there is the guy that, well, we hardly see, I guess. But he does something, obviously to be the person everybody looks at (8), but he doesn’t do it out in other areas.
Stew: Which he are you talking about now, Mike? I’m not …
Bob Hertzel: [interjects, unsolicited] Noel! He’s talking about Noel! (9)
Stew: You started off with Powell, but I’m with you now …
Casazza: [heavy sigh] (10) No, I kept saying ‘your guy.’ Noel. There are two different of him we see. How does that guy do that?
Stew: You’d have to be in the arena with him. In the weight room, in the locker room, at practice. I mean … Anyone else? We got time for one more.
(1) WVU is apparently playing Louisville this week.
(2) Bilal is actually 6th in total yards for the season, but his gaudy 6.6 yards per carry would certainly appear to rank within the top five averages in the nation for running backs.
(3) Casazza (a/k/a “Moon Mike”) seems to be obliquely referring to WVU running back Noel Devine.
(4) Mike is known for being one of the few members of the media to pay more than cursory attention to the media guides of the schools and teams on which he reports.
(5) For purposes of clarification, Sun Stew is not in charge of the WVU Football Media Guide. If he were, there would be more photos of jaws jutting and backs bowing.
(6) Casazza is implicitly venting his frustration at the media’s curtailed access to Devine following the running back’s injury at LSU and, more specifically, in the wake of the team’s recent travails. Subtlety is often lost on Coach Stewart.
(7) Mary Wells once sang, “Nothing you can say can tear me away from my guy.”
(8) For a guy we hardly see, Devine is undoubtedly a person that everybody looks at.
(9) Hertzel has also been known to scream during horror movies, “No! You dumb***! Do NOT go in the basement!”
(10) Moon Mike evidently requires oxygen, thus discrediting the popular theory that he escaped from Area 51 in 2002.
Incidentally, I’ve never been a sports journalist. But I do enjoy doughnuts.
I posted same question as ccteam on the chat. Where is Devine? Not allowed to talk?
Cagey move by Dunlap to steer traffic to his blog
Ask me about Noel Devine!
BWT Sheik, thanks for insight on Hertzel.
Sheik- well done!