And WVU moves to 6-2 without its stars

Encouraging sign for WVU Monday with an easy win on a night when Juwan Staten wasn’t scoring and Eron Harris wasn’t making shots. Good thing Kevin Noreen showed up and made a play after falling down!

Harris was 4-for-13 and Staten 2-for-10 for WVU (6-2), but it was Noreen who got the offense untracked early.

“I have to because if I don’t, I’m not a threat, and you have to be a threat or else they won’t respect you and it’ll bottle up the offense like it did last year,” said Noreen, who missed matching his career high set last year against Virginia Tech by one point. “Teams sat guys in the lane and we couldn’t get much at the basket, so I have to.”

Noreen’s first shot was a 3 at the 17:24 mark and it came as the Greyhounds dropped off Noreen and protected the paint, not thinking Noreen would make his first 3 since Feb. 27.

“I came in two hours before the game and he and Eron Harris were out there shooting the ball,” Huggins said. “He had two managers and he was getting up a lot of shots. Ironically, he must have taken 50 shots from the exact same spot he took that shot from.”

7 Responses to “And WVU moves to 6-2 without its stars”

1. oklahoma mountaineer says:

I’m glad you did some quotes in your blog entry because he has the worst case of the mumbles I’ve heard in his interviews….and he has them often.

If you play his interviews in reverse, he seems to keep repeating “turn me on dead man.” And, synchronized at normal forward speed, it’s uncanny how his tone and cadence corresponds with the first fifteen minutes of “The Wizard of Oz.”

3. JP says:

The audio of Huggs’ interviews is better on other websites. Why can’t ya get a direct feed into the mic, Mike?

4. JC says:

See, all that black shirt talk was just hooey….

5. JC says:

I see 14 more wins as distinctly possible (not including the Big 12 tourney) with maybe a surprise or two added. That would put this team at 20-22 wins which should be good enough to make the big dance, especially if a couple of those wins are quality wins. Am I crazy?

6. Bobby Heenan says:

@ JC – you’re not crazy, but it’s still very hard to know.

We looked good but lost to a good team (Wisconsin). We looked bad and lost to an average or below average team (VT), and then we’ve blown out bad teams.

After the Mizzou, Gonzaga, Marshall, and Perdue tilt we’ll have a very good idea of where we stand.

I may be wrong, but with our shooting and effort, we at least should have a fighting chance against about everyone. I do fear that the lack of finishes at the rim (Harris has been struggling there, and Williams/Noreen have lift issues in there), rebounding, and lack of back end shot blocking will keep us from the NCAA tourney….but I really hope I’m wrong.

I thought we looked bad against Wisconsin, but maybe that’s a good thing (think what we could have done had we worked the ball inside once in awhile, rebounded, and made free throws).