Friday Feedback

2013-12-19_10-14-34_502

Welcome to the Friday Feedback, which wants to share with you a Christmas story. One time last basketball season, I pulled a Mitch Martin and caught an earlier flight home from a basketball game and didn’t tell my wife. I came home and, much like in Old School, was terrified by what I wound my wife to be doing: She was watching and laughing uproariously to a Madea movie.

I was shook.

Needless to say, I did not join her when she and a friend went to see “A Madea Christmas.” And I was similarly inspired when I found out she’d decorated the Tier 4 studio with the above. It’s so unnerving that I can’t go to work for two weeks, so this is it from me until the WVU v. TCU preview Jan. 3 — and we’re not going to make that joke so many of you want to make right now, OK?

We’ll make it sing around here, though. I’m not leaving the continent this time and I’ll poke around, maybe drop in, possibly do something if the situation calls for it. But, man, two weeks is a long time and the distance makes one sad on the holiday. We’re sort of familial here in that we don’t ever really see one another, we don’t talk in person, we use the computer to communicate, we argue, we have that one relative we can’t stand, but we are who we are and for good or for bad there’s nothing we can do about it.

I propose this: Use the comments to share your holiday stories this year. Photos (you can email them to me), anecdotes, stories, recipes, etc. This way, we’re all sort of together and hanging out, but I can also look at my sister in the thick of some shenanigans, refer to this blog and say “This is not what normal people do…”

Onto the Feedback. As always, comments appear as posted. In other words, aim for the stars.

Mack said:

I looked like a newby. Here was my pregame pointers for my wife, who was new to this game:

- Strongest cheerleader is one of the highlights of the game (didn’t happen)

- Gary Browne is probably the worst shooter on the team (he didn’t miss a shot)

- Eron Harris is the best player on the team (he barely made a shot)

(At least my description of the Marshall fans was spot on. They were making excuses about the refs before the game even started. “We’re going to have to be 20 points better than WVU for the refs to give us a chance.” See guys… no one likes people who claim the refs stole the game from them).

My thoughts on the half court shot: For some reason, WVU’s bench sat out on the floor almost directly underneath the basket (Marshall’s does the same thing). The girl seemed to look up and think “There’s no way I’m making this and there’s a 90% chance I’m going to drill someone from WVU in the face with my errant shot. Screw it, I’m just going to roll the thing toward the basket.” Even if Da’Sean Butler was taking the half court shot, he would’ve been very wary of the WVU entourage being perched so precariously close to the basket.

Difficult to believe you were mistaken, but the Gary Browne Revival is stirring. That’s fooling a lot of people, except Gonzaga. He was a pretty mediocre player last season. He’s a great shooter all of a sudden, he’s not turning it over and lately he’s not fouling. Those were three big weaknesses last season, but things a kid can fix. WVU usually has a nice stretch when Staten and Browne play together. A year ago, you wouldn’t have done that.

oklahoma mountaineer said:

Rivalries are definitely established based on proximity — look at how much we looked forward to playing Va Tech and Miami when in the Big East. Those are just stone throws away from Morgantown.

If you use that philosophy, you never will have a Big 12 rivalry….ever.

Let’s face it, there’s nothing to gain for WVU playing this game, but really, is there anything to gain playing lesser opponents in Nov-Dec except wins and home court crowd/concession money.

I don’t think WVU knows what it’s talking about right now, but I don’t think it’s WVU’s fault. It’ll take time to get the message sorted out and delivered properly. The deck’s been reshuffled and everything has to be reconsidered. The talking points have changed about this game through the years, too. Remember, the team that won used to take on a losing streak and it was explained that that was the case because the next game or the next few games didn’t mean as much. Now it doesn’t matter? I just get the sense its all going somewhere.

Mack said:

In my opinion, claiming that WVU and Marshall shouldn’t play in basketball makes WVU look petty. There isn’t a single argument you can make for WVU not playing Marshall that you can stay consistent with OTHER THAN “Marshall isn’t very good but always plays very well against West Virginia, thus, Marshall can beat West Virginia and give WVU a very bad loss for its tournament resume.”

Other possible arguments that don’t hold water:

Marshall is a nobody. (WVU has a bunch of lesser nobodies and comparable nobodies on its schedule).

WVU doesn’t like playing Marshall in Charleston. (WVU is about to play William & friggin’ Mary in Charleston).

The game doesn’t make any money. (It does.)

The fans don’t care about it. (They do).

The players don’t care about it. (If true, there are many other games the players don’t care about).

It’s not a rivalry. (I think it is a rivalry for the reasons stated by Mr. Casazza. Even if it isn’t, who cares?)

“Anyhow, Huggins really tempered the Capital Classic the day before the game, suggesting Virginia Tech was scheduled to give the team a rival”

Isn’t this the same guy who said that proximity creates rivalries? Isn’t Morgantown closer to Huntington than Blacksburg?

Again, the messages don’t make sense. That Virginia Tech point was just weird. It’s not congruous, unless Huggins was trying to reference and recreate his playing days, which is possible, but it’s still a stretch. And with the current players, there is zero sentiment for a VT series, and I suspect the same is somewhat true of Marshall. Honestly, what’s the difference to this WVU team between Marshall and Duquesne? The Dukes are closer and actually beat WVU last season. I’ll disagree with one point you make, because when I say I think it’s going somewhere, I have a theory: WVU doesn’t want to play Marshall in the Big 12 schedule because WVU can play a better team on television in the middle of the Big 12 play — and you’re allowed one non-conference game in conference play. I could see something at least being discussed where internally WVU says, “We can get on television or we can get a money game or we can do something for recruiting in NYC or Philly in December if we have one more spot on the schedule.” WVU isn’t going to rid itself of home games. It can’t and it won’t. So what game disappears?

Ted said:

Wow, WVU won and Huggins still whines–classic!

Go ahead Coach–don’t play Marshall every season. Then you can add another Frostburg State or maybe even West Liberty.

Jeepers that guy is a real piece of work.

Not sure that was whining, but I get your reaction. And if he gets St. John’s or Villanova or someone from the old Big East — and I’m told that’s coming soon — that actually is a piece of work. I don’t think you’ll see the series dissolved because there are so many people who say “The state’s two teams have to play.” I’d challenge them to put an argument together behind those hollow words. That’s a headline. I need a story. I can write a different headline and a different story — and if the two football programs aren’t playing, why do the two basketball programs have to play?

Karl said:

I like that we play this game. It’s a service to the in-state fans that WVU gets to play at least one game per year somewhere besides Morgantown. It’s not like football, where the limited number of noncon games make them such a precious commodity. Is this opponent not far more interesting than someone like a Loyola? They should schedule this game during weeks when the students are on a holiday break, when the home attendance would suck anyway.

That’s fair, but that’s an easy problem to fix. Play a double-header in Charleston with WVU first and Marshall second. Hell, make it an all day thing with some high school and/or Mountain East games: 10 a.m. is Huntington Prep against a quality team in a game that’s possibly televised; 1 p.m. is the University of Charleston v. West Liberty; 4 p.m. is Marshall; 7 p.m. is WVU. Something like that. Switch it up all you like, but there’s a format. Or have Marshall actually play a regular season game in Charleston, like WVU has done through the years. There’s a solution somewhere out there. And if WVU were to somehow do away with the Capital Classic, it wouldn’t be for a no-name opponent. WVU would have to make that move and back it up with a legitimate explanation.

Mack said:

By the way, I think Joe Manchin needs to intervene on this cheerleader contest and make sure that they compete every year. The state demands it.

Fly on the wall time there.

Rugger said:

“more offensive that Noreen”.

The Red Panda is more offensive than Noreen.

The 2000 Ravens were more offensive than Noreen.

Jeff Mullen is more offensive than Noreen.

nice kid though.

I agree on the final point … but Noreen’s passing, and specifically the amount of bad passes, keeps him off the floor.

SheikYbuti said:

I’d be more willing to buy “more offensive than Brent Musberger backstage at a beauty pageant.”

I doubt attendin’-high school-next-to-Target Noreen was that offensive.

Rugger said:

awesome Sheik. another to consider:

“more offensive that Petrino showing up at the Chi O Spring Formal in chaps riding a scooter.”

Da’Sean with the shot clock off in a tied game wasn’t that offensive.

Karl said:

Who knows if this kid will be any good, but this may be one case where our crazy geographic situation helped us. Richardson is from Oklahoma. His favorite before visiting WVU was reportedly Wisconsin. It had to be a selling point that he’d get to play at least one game each year in his home state if he came to WVU.

I was thinking similarly. I can’t recall too many occasions when WVU being in the Big 12 helped. Being in the Big 12, for whatever reason, has encouraged WVU to go the juco route. Having games in Oklahoma in the back pocket had to help. I’m curious if Dana or DeForest had any sort of relationship with the kid in high school. Also, I’d never heard of Coahoma before this week. The Big 12!

Wayward Eer said:

Did anyone see that Aaric Murray had 48 tonight vs. Temple? Just speechless?

Me at 10:52 p.m., seven minutes after this comment was posted: “… 48 what?”

netbros said:

Yep, Dalton Pepper is averaging 16.5 for Temple, Dan Jennings 12.7 and 8.3 for Long Beach State, and Murray 24.5 and 8 for Texas Southern. On the other hand, all three teams have losing records.

Be curious to see what last year’s transfer class starts doing when they are eligible again next year.

All in all though, I like the guys on the WV team now.

Hinds is at UMass, which is No. 1 in the RPI, but loses three seniors in the top five in scoring to graduation. That’s a really fun team, by the way. Excellent defensively and a bunch of guys who pass the ball which sets up an alarming number of open shots.

Mack said:

And I’m obviously not saying Spavital is a bad coach or a good coach. But it’s ridiculous to say that we really know anything about him, at this point. College football is full of coaches who soar to the top quickly. It has very few coaches that stay up there.

But there are coaches who get there and stay there, too. I’m not sure what you can actually know about a guy who’s been a full-time assistant for three seasons, so that’s fair, but no one’s going to hold that against him. When you consider where he’s been and who he’s worked for and what he’s witnessed, never mind all the connections he’s made at his stops or all the camps and clinics he’s worked and attended, you can safely assume he’s well versed. Guy’s been a student from the day he was born. I bet he’s a head coach within four years.

Sammy said:

I’ll play:

- Boundary Corner: One of these JUCOs and/or Travis Bell and/or one of Chestnut/Williams/Nana/etc (assuming one steps up)
- Field Corner: Banks
- Boundary Safety: KJ Dillon (backup Jeremy Tyler)
- Free Safety: Worley (backup Jarrod Harper) (Worley may play some boundary safety with Dillon dropping down to another position, too)
- Spur: Karl Joseph, backups Tonkery and Petteway
- Buck: Golson with backup Gross
- Sam: Kwiatkoski, backup a redshirt freshman (Benton?)
- Will: Isaiah Bruce/Jared Barber
- DE: Kyle Rose, backup Eric Kinsey
- DE: Dontrill Hyman, backup Noble Nwachukwu
- NT: Christian Brown, backup Howard

OK, so this is fun. And I can make predictions for things like this. I think Bell, if he’s back on the team, is a safety and a juco starts at corner. I think Howard can beat out Brown. But that’s just me. Nothing wrong with the list. Here are the things I find intriguing about this: 1) What do you do with Isaiah Bruce? 2) Dillon can obviously play, but where? 3) Getting Petteway and Nana back is a sneaky underrated thing. They can play and probably play multiple positions.

Mack said:

If WVU stays healthy and guys stay on their natural trajectory . . . I think the defense can make a big jump in the overall rankings.

All of the starters that Sammy lists are pretty good.

One question: Is it just me or is Karl Joseph tremendously undersized to play at the spur spot?

I wouldn’t say “tremendously,” but he’s not what one might call “large” either. He’s basically the same size as Oklahoma’s Eric Striker, who Patterson thinks is about the perfect fit for that spot. And he’s bigger than Tyrann Mathieu.

Bobby Heenan said:

Great article, Mike. Thanks for looking into this and explaining how one position change has a big domino effect. I figured we’d move Joseph down to strong safety, but I’m definitely happy to see we may move him to spur. I think I’ve seen enough to know two things though: 1. he can play football well 2. he can’t play free safety well.

I think the Kwiatkowski/Bruce combo could be a very good core of inside LB’s.

I pretty much agree with Sammy with some minor things I think might be different….

I think Bell plays free safety, probably behind Worley on the depth chart to open the Spring. He played there for two years and isn’t terribly unfamiliar with it.

I don’t think Harper has the speed to play free safety. I think he backs up at strong safety or nickle back.

I’m not sure what the plan is for Isaac McDonald, but he has a rangy build and was a highly ranked recruit that redshirted last year. I figure he’ll get looks at strong safety and spur. They may try to put weight on him and put him at Buck, though. I’m not sure I’ve heard coaches comment on him so I’m guessing, obviously.

I like KJ Dillon, but he has been somewhat inconsistent. It wouldn’t surprise me if Tyler beats him out.

I think we need to talk a lot about Bruce in the spring. That position change didn’t take, and I wonder now why it happened. Harper has the look of a bandit, but I honestly haven’t seen or investigated much of him yet, but if he can’t play free, he can’t play nickel. McDonald is penciled in for that OLB/DE spot, kind of like d’Vante Henry was supposed to do. With that situation and moving Kinsey around, we never got to see that plan in action. That’ll be fun to see in the spring, too. I can’t decide if it’s a good thing or a bad thing to be talking about defense so much on a Holgorsen team.

Sammy said:

If it uncouth of me to note that if we move Joseph to Spur that means we’ll be playing a form of the dreaded 3-3-5? (Albeit not the 3-3-5 stack.)

Kinda sorta. Move Golson down and it’s a 4-2-5. Move, say, Dillon down and it’s a 3-4. Move Golson and Dillon down and it’s a 4-3. I say kinda sorta because that’s kinda sorta the idea. Deception by design.

I love you, Doug! said:

Joseph reminds me of what they used to say about the laser and Martin Short: An answer looking for a problem.

All three are wondrous in and of themselves, but (until Lasik and “The Three Amigos”), we didn’t really know what they were for.

Joseph had a tremendous season in 2012 because everyone was breaking through tackles in the front lines of the defense, giving him huge numbers, but he slipped this year. He seems too slow to cover receivers, but is a tremendous football player. Is he too small for Spur? Where do you put him?

Fantastic.

Karl said:

Having watched Big 12 ball for two seasons now, it’s struck me that one area where the Big East had an edge was in toughness, particularly on the defensive side. I see so few big hits anymore. It doesn’t seem to be valued by these Texas kids. Am I alone on this?

It’s valid, and the best players in Texas seem to be skill position guys in spread offenses, or defenders who are made to tackle in space, so there’s a correlation to consider, I’m sure. I think the offensive skill is better, and good enough to stay out of some danger. I think the defenders are faster and in better position. I think quarterbacks get rid of the ball really quick, so there are fewer sacks. And, again, I think a lot of plays are made in space where defenders can’t risk blowing people up and missing. The Big East was played in tighter spaces. Am I alone on this?

MontanaEer said:

It’s easier to hit slower targets.

I am not.

pknocker40 said:

It’s a Black & Blue League!

Enjoy the weekend, the holidays and the next two weeks!

71 Responses to “Friday Feedback”

By the way, I hate Twitter, don’t know why, maybe its the name. But I did see a Twitter from Andrew Buie a few days ago, insisting he would be back in the Blue and Gold for next season.
    He was, at times, a good to real good back, but I guess I’m somewhat lukewarm on a guy who leaves the team because he falls down the depth chart.

2. lowercase jeff says:

i did not miss a single snap of geno’s rookie season.

here are my thoughts:

1. he was very inconsistent.
    2. played very well in some big spots (@atl on national tv, in crunch time of some well publicized comebacks, @mia in a playoff atmosphere).
    3. he is very very very very slow through his progressions.
    4. he is a very good runner.
    5. he had ten average to below average teammates on offense.

i gotta say, mack, “wont win a superbowl” and “wont make the playoffs”, isn’t really analysis. just more of a prediction. in which case, ive got to consider the source. “everything wvu sucks a little”. got it.

geno was a second round pick for a reason. he wasn’t ready. that was very clear this season. i expect them to bring in a marginally talented veteran and use a late pick on a qb. i expect geno to win the job, and i expect him to be better next year than he was this year.

one thing that i am very happy with, but not surprised by, is that geno proved all that garbage about his work ethic and personality to be just that… garbage. he had total support of all his teammates and coaches, is universally respected by his local media (read manish Mehta’s article for more), and fought fought fought all year long. i was very proud of him.

go geno.

3. jtmountaineer says:

lcj, I agree with all that. I often follow WVU alumni in the pros with more interest than the current WVU roster, at least in years like these, and Tavon, Geno, and Steadman all had their standout moments. All can get better, and all will, I believe, for different reasons.

I didn’t watch much of Geno, but I did watch a few of his games. I looked at the stats following almost all of his games. When I say he won’t win a Super Bowl… I’m really just trying to put his “upside” in its proper context. Sort of like adding the phrase “at his own right” following any compliment. To further contextualize my thoughts on Geno, if I were to list the 30 starting NFL quarterbacks, I would probably only say the current top 10 have much of a chance of winning a Super Bowl in their career. I would probably say that the bottom 5 or 10 won’t make it to the playoffs in their career. Harsh, but one would probably have to agree that Geno is in the bottom 5 of starting NFL quarterbacks right now. . . certainly the bottom 10. Can he improve? Yes. If he doesn’t improve drastically in Year 2, the NFL has a way of cutting you loose.

My own non-expert NFL opinion is that Stedman’s problem will always be that people don’t see him as having any up-side beyond what he already shows. I think there’s no question he can be a valuable player on any football team – like Lance Moore who’s been on the Saints forever – but it seems like those guys only stick around if they get a coach to believe in them and take them wherever the coach goes. Remember how Adrian Murrell always popped up wherever Bill Parcells went? I thought Amos Zereoue would have a long NFL career as a solid back, but it seemed like he was gone five minutes after he’d made it.

The current NFC playoff quarterbacks (just because I can name them quicker than I could the AFC):

Russell Wilson
    Cam Newton
    Nick Foles
    Aaron Rodgers
    Colin Kaepernick
    Drew Brees

Those are probably the six best quarterbacks in the NFC. The only guys that missed the playoffs that you could argue should be included in the top 6 are Tony Romo and Matt Ryan. (You could include RG3, Jay Cutler, and possibly Carson Palmer based on this season but I wouldn’t). I don’t think I’m being controversial here, but I would say Cam Newton sticks out as the worst quarterback in the playoff-bound group… and he’s the quarterback of a team primarily built on defense, which allows the team to win without a great quarterback.

6. jtmountaineer says:

If you were to say Geno won’t be the biggest reason a team wins the Super Bowl, I could agree with that. But I would have said the same of Joe Flacco prior to last year. Then there are those QBs I never would have put on a championship team, the Hostetlers, Rypiens, Dilfers, and Brad Johnsons of the world who give hope to journeymen quarterbacks of every generation.

7. lowercase jegg says:

mack, there is a qb missing from your list (and your honorable mentions) that has won 2 of the last 5(6?) superbowls.

and it would be total revisionism to say he was a “superbowl qb” prior to winning his first.

also, i think it is literally impossible to critique a player without watching him. stats are meaningless. for this reason, i think it is okay to find some hardworking, talented, scout types – and trust their analysis.

the opinions on geno vary, but no one thinks he is BAD. the physical talent is there. i think he gets/deserves one more year.

I love Geno and Tavon and Stedman, but would not be the least bit surprised if Stedman ended up having the longest NFL career of all.

Not a bad start for the Big 12 teams in the bowl season. Kansas State destroyed Michigan and Texas Tech took down Arizona State. The Texas Tech win was probably the biggest upset of the bowl season so far… and I thought the margin of victory for Kansas State was surprising.

Texas lost, but I don’t think anyone really thought they had much of a chance against Oregon anyway.

10. Bobby Heenan says:

Good post, lcj. I watched plenty of Geno this year as well and agree with your post. I thought during his WVU days his major weakness was slowness in going through progressions, and it became even more evident this year.

I think you’re being generous in calling his skill position teammates “average to below average,” though. He needs WR help in the worst way. Ivory is squarely an average back, but there are few rosters in the league with worse across the board WR skills.

11. avb31 says:

I think this bowl season is going to expose the Big 12 as a middle of the road league this year.

K-State looked good, but they beat a pretty bad Michigan team playing without its QB. TTU has the best win, by far.

Baylor isn’t looking good at the moment against UCF. OU won’t beat Bama. OSU has their hands full with Mizzou. An 0′fer by the top of the league doesn’t look good, especially when almost half of the conference finished 4-8 or worse.

12. MontanaEer says:

Baylor has proven, once again, that, unless you play Dook, you have to be able to play defense. It seems that we were their Super Bowl. As we were Maryland and Kansas’s. The Big 12′s rep now hinges on OSU. OU doesn’t stand a chance, but, hey, we get to share Baylor and OU’s $!

Baylor wasn’t very good in its last several games. It beat TCU by two points and got killed by Oklahoma State. I thought it had a lot to do with the injuries it suffered, but several of its players were back for the bowl game (Seastrunk and Reese).

I went to sleep at halftime, but Baylor played about as bad as it could possibly play in the first half. Even when it had a chance to tie the game, it screwed up the extra point. I thought Art Briles even seemed strange during his halftime interview. Maybe his bowl prep was distracted by interviewing with another school a la RichRod.

I don’t think Baylor’s or UCF’s quarterbacks are NFL quarterbacks. Baylor’s quarterback seems to loft every throw, which works well for Baylor because it has all the pieces in place and the throws are getting to where they need to get… but I don’t think it would work much in the NFL. I have never watched UCF’s quarterback except for the first half against Baylor… and didn’t he start 3-for-9 or something?

Oklahoma will get spanked by Alabama. Oklahoma State could save face for the conference by beating Missouri, which I think is a very even matchup. The bowls are a total mixed bag though… you never know which teams are going to show up.

Not so fast my prognosticating friend….Whereas Baylor had a challenge in getting up vs UCF, Oklahoma will be motivated by fear of being embarrassed on the big stage and they will win a close one tonight.

I like OSU because I’m a conference homer who knows and cares little about all things Mizzou.

Happy New Year.

P.S. If any of you like hiking and have not clicked on netbros’ link, you’re missing a great resource.

15. MontanaEer says:

Scratch what I said about Oklahoma. Never did, until this year, I’d think I’d root, emotionally, for Oklahoma. But I did. Eff Alabama and the SEC. And screw you, Baylor for what you did: making Oklahoma salvage our Big 12 asses. What I learned is that we did have a good D until all the injuries, given what Trevor Knight did to Bama.

Given that Knight will be a sophomore next year, prepare for Oklahoma to be the most overhyped team in the history of football.

With that said, I’m glad they beat Alabama also. I was rooting for them also.

17. hershy112 says:

Trevor Knight played out of his mind. Looked like a totally different person from when we played them.

18. hershy112 says:

And why shouldn’t they be hyped? They just beat the “best team in college football” according to some of the “experts” last night before the game.

hershy brought up one of my favorite behaviors of us, fans. We never refer to Mark May, Lou Holtz, Kerk Herbstreit, or any of the other talking heads as “experts” until they’re wrong. Then, we revel in their misfortune when they guess incorrectly. At this point, we all realize that the average fan with an internet connection has just as much information as the guys on ESPN.

I remember Desmond Howard saying that Oklahoma State would beat WVU by 50… and, at the time, I certainly understood why he predicted it. It’s amazing to predict a team to win by 50 . . . and the team doesn’t even win the game.

The preseason hype makes people lose connection with the idea that the college football season is not a one-game, neutral field, winner-take-all proposition.

It’s 12 games and three-and-a-half months long. In some games, you have all of your players healthy. In some games, you may have key guys hurt. The same goes for your opponents. You may have good weather for a game, or you may have WIND. You may have a reason to be extra motivated for a game, or you may not be motivated at all. There may be enough evidence to overturn a ref’s horrible call that changes the game, or there may not be a camera angle that catches it. Maybe you get a few breaks or maybe you don’t.

There’s no rational explanation for Baylor winning the Big 12 but then losing to UCF . . . while Oklahoma finishes second in the Big 12 and beats Alabama. If any preseason magazine picked those things to happen, they’d be insane.

The fact that Texas finished the season 7-2 in the Big 12, but beat Iowa State by a questionable call and WVU in triple overtime shows how close a team can go from a Big 12 championship (they were one half away) or a complete failure of a season. Record-wise, WVU and Iowa State were two of the three worst teams in the conference. Oklahoma State would’ve won the Big 12 if it would have been able to beat WVU with a quarterback that most fans don’t think is any good starting his first game.

Not necessarily. Who knows how Oklahoma State’s timeline would have been altered had they beaten WVU? Perhaps the team decides to go to a Stillwater strip club and half the starters get suspended. Hindsight is nowhere near 20/20.

Beam me up, Scotty.