Friday Feedback

2013-12-19_10-14-34_502

Welcome to the Friday Feedback, which wants to share with you a Christmas story. One time last basketball season, I pulled a Mitch Martin and caught an earlier flight home from a basketball game and didn’t tell my wife. I came home and, much like in Old School, was terrified by what I wound my wife to be doing: She was watching and laughing uproariously to a Madea movie.

I was shook.

Needless to say, I did not join her when she and a friend went to see “A Madea Christmas.” And I was similarly inspired when I found out she’d decorated the Tier 4 studio with the above. It’s so unnerving that I can’t go to work for two weeks, so this is it from me until the WVU v. TCU preview Jan. 3 — and we’re not going to make that joke so many of you want to make right now, OK?

We’ll make it sing around here, though. I’m not leaving the continent this time and I’ll poke around, maybe drop in, possibly do something if the situation calls for it. But, man, two weeks is a long time and the distance makes one sad on the holiday. We’re sort of familial here in that we don’t ever really see one another, we don’t talk in person, we use the computer to communicate, we argue, we have that one relative we can’t stand, but we are who we are and for good or for bad there’s nothing we can do about it.

I propose this: Use the comments to share your holiday stories this year. Photos (you can email them to me), anecdotes, stories, recipes, etc. This way, we’re all sort of together and hanging out, but I can also look at my sister in the thick of some shenanigans, refer to this blog and say “This is not what normal people do…”

Onto the Feedback. As always, comments appear as posted. In other words, aim for the stars.

Mack said:

I looked like a newby. Here was my pregame pointers for my wife, who was new to this game:

- Strongest cheerleader is one of the highlights of the game (didn’t happen)

- Gary Browne is probably the worst shooter on the team (he didn’t miss a shot)

- Eron Harris is the best player on the team (he barely made a shot)

(At least my description of the Marshall fans was spot on. They were making excuses about the refs before the game even started. “We’re going to have to be 20 points better than WVU for the refs to give us a chance.” See guys… no one likes people who claim the refs stole the game from them).

My thoughts on the half court shot: For some reason, WVU’s bench sat out on the floor almost directly underneath the basket (Marshall’s does the same thing). The girl seemed to look up and think “There’s no way I’m making this and there’s a 90% chance I’m going to drill someone from WVU in the face with my errant shot. Screw it, I’m just going to roll the thing toward the basket.” Even if Da’Sean Butler was taking the half court shot, he would’ve been very wary of the WVU entourage being perched so precariously close to the basket.

Difficult to believe you were mistaken, but the Gary Browne Revival is stirring. That’s fooling a lot of people, except Gonzaga. He was a pretty mediocre player last season. He’s a great shooter all of a sudden, he’s not turning it over and lately he’s not fouling. Those were three big weaknesses last season, but things a kid can fix. WVU usually has a nice stretch when Staten and Browne play together. A year ago, you wouldn’t have done that.

oklahoma mountaineer said:

Rivalries are definitely established based on proximity — look at how much we looked forward to playing Va Tech and Miami when in the Big East. Those are just stone throws away from Morgantown.

If you use that philosophy, you never will have a Big 12 rivalry….ever.

Let’s face it, there’s nothing to gain for WVU playing this game, but really, is there anything to gain playing lesser opponents in Nov-Dec except wins and home court crowd/concession money.

I don’t think WVU knows what it’s talking about right now, but I don’t think it’s WVU’s fault. It’ll take time to get the message sorted out and delivered properly. The deck’s been reshuffled and everything has to be reconsidered. The talking points have changed about this game through the years, too. Remember, the team that won used to take on a losing streak and it was explained that that was the case because the next game or the next few games didn’t mean as much. Now it doesn’t matter? I just get the sense its all going somewhere.

Mack said:

In my opinion, claiming that WVU and Marshall shouldn’t play in basketball makes WVU look petty. There isn’t a single argument you can make for WVU not playing Marshall that you can stay consistent with OTHER THAN “Marshall isn’t very good but always plays very well against West Virginia, thus, Marshall can beat West Virginia and give WVU a very bad loss for its tournament resume.”

Other possible arguments that don’t hold water:

Marshall is a nobody. (WVU has a bunch of lesser nobodies and comparable nobodies on its schedule).

WVU doesn’t like playing Marshall in Charleston. (WVU is about to play William & friggin’ Mary in Charleston).

The game doesn’t make any money. (It does.)

The fans don’t care about it. (They do).

The players don’t care about it. (If true, there are many other games the players don’t care about).

It’s not a rivalry. (I think it is a rivalry for the reasons stated by Mr. Casazza. Even if it isn’t, who cares?)

“Anyhow, Huggins really tempered the Capital Classic the day before the game, suggesting Virginia Tech was scheduled to give the team a rival”

Isn’t this the same guy who said that proximity creates rivalries? Isn’t Morgantown closer to Huntington than Blacksburg?

Again, the messages don’t make sense. That Virginia Tech point was just weird. It’s not congruous, unless Huggins was trying to reference and recreate his playing days, which is possible, but it’s still a stretch. And with the current players, there is zero sentiment for a VT series, and I suspect the same is somewhat true of Marshall. Honestly, what’s the difference to this WVU team between Marshall and Duquesne? The Dukes are closer and actually beat WVU last season. I’ll disagree with one point you make, because when I say I think it’s going somewhere, I have a theory: WVU doesn’t want to play Marshall in the Big 12 schedule because WVU can play a better team on television in the middle of the Big 12 play — and you’re allowed one non-conference game in conference play. I could see something at least being discussed where internally WVU says, “We can get on television or we can get a money game or we can do something for recruiting in NYC or Philly in December if we have one more spot on the schedule.” WVU isn’t going to rid itself of home games. It can’t and it won’t. So what game disappears?

Ted said:

Wow, WVU won and Huggins still whines–classic!

Go ahead Coach–don’t play Marshall every season. Then you can add another Frostburg State or maybe even West Liberty.

Jeepers that guy is a real piece of work.

Not sure that was whining, but I get your reaction. And if he gets St. John’s or Villanova or someone from the old Big East — and I’m told that’s coming soon — that actually is a piece of work. I don’t think you’ll see the series dissolved because there are so many people who say “The state’s two teams have to play.” I’d challenge them to put an argument together behind those hollow words. That’s a headline. I need a story. I can write a different headline and a different story — and if the two football programs aren’t playing, why do the two basketball programs have to play?

Karl said:

I like that we play this game. It’s a service to the in-state fans that WVU gets to play at least one game per year somewhere besides Morgantown. It’s not like football, where the limited number of noncon games make them such a precious commodity. Is this opponent not far more interesting than someone like a Loyola? They should schedule this game during weeks when the students are on a holiday break, when the home attendance would suck anyway.

That’s fair, but that’s an easy problem to fix. Play a double-header in Charleston with WVU first and Marshall second. Hell, make it an all day thing with some high school and/or Mountain East games: 10 a.m. is Huntington Prep against a quality team in a game that’s possibly televised; 1 p.m. is the University of Charleston v. West Liberty; 4 p.m. is Marshall; 7 p.m. is WVU. Something like that. Switch it up all you like, but there’s a format. Or have Marshall actually play a regular season game in Charleston, like WVU has done through the years. There’s a solution somewhere out there. And if WVU were to somehow do away with the Capital Classic, it wouldn’t be for a no-name opponent. WVU would have to make that move and back it up with a legitimate explanation.

Mack said:

By the way, I think Joe Manchin needs to intervene on this cheerleader contest and make sure that they compete every year. The state demands it.

Fly on the wall time there.

Rugger said:

“more offensive that Noreen”.

The Red Panda is more offensive than Noreen.

The 2000 Ravens were more offensive than Noreen.

Jeff Mullen is more offensive than Noreen.

nice kid though.

I agree on the final point … but Noreen’s passing, and specifically the amount of bad passes, keeps him off the floor.

SheikYbuti said:

I’d be more willing to buy “more offensive than Brent Musberger backstage at a beauty pageant.”

I doubt attendin’-high school-next-to-Target Noreen was that offensive.

Rugger said:

awesome Sheik. another to consider:

“more offensive that Petrino showing up at the Chi O Spring Formal in chaps riding a scooter.”

Da’Sean with the shot clock off in a tied game wasn’t that offensive.

Karl said:

Who knows if this kid will be any good, but this may be one case where our crazy geographic situation helped us. Richardson is from Oklahoma. His favorite before visiting WVU was reportedly Wisconsin. It had to be a selling point that he’d get to play at least one game each year in his home state if he came to WVU.

I was thinking similarly. I can’t recall too many occasions when WVU being in the Big 12 helped. Being in the Big 12, for whatever reason, has encouraged WVU to go the juco route. Having games in Oklahoma in the back pocket had to help. I’m curious if Dana or DeForest had any sort of relationship with the kid in high school. Also, I’d never heard of Coahoma before this week. The Big 12!

Wayward Eer said:

Did anyone see that Aaric Murray had 48 tonight vs. Temple? Just speechless?

Me at 10:52 p.m., seven minutes after this comment was posted: “… 48 what?”

netbros said:

Yep, Dalton Pepper is averaging 16.5 for Temple, Dan Jennings 12.7 and 8.3 for Long Beach State, and Murray 24.5 and 8 for Texas Southern. On the other hand, all three teams have losing records.

Be curious to see what last year’s transfer class starts doing when they are eligible again next year.

All in all though, I like the guys on the WV team now.

Hinds is at UMass, which is No. 1 in the RPI, but loses three seniors in the top five in scoring to graduation. That’s a really fun team, by the way. Excellent defensively and a bunch of guys who pass the ball which sets up an alarming number of open shots.

Mack said:

And I’m obviously not saying Spavital is a bad coach or a good coach. But it’s ridiculous to say that we really know anything about him, at this point. College football is full of coaches who soar to the top quickly. It has very few coaches that stay up there.

But there are coaches who get there and stay there, too. I’m not sure what you can actually know about a guy who’s been a full-time assistant for three seasons, so that’s fair, but no one’s going to hold that against him. When you consider where he’s been and who he’s worked for and what he’s witnessed, never mind all the connections he’s made at his stops or all the camps and clinics he’s worked and attended, you can safely assume he’s well versed. Guy’s been a student from the day he was born. I bet he’s a head coach within four years.

Sammy said:

I’ll play:

- Boundary Corner: One of these JUCOs and/or Travis Bell and/or one of Chestnut/Williams/Nana/etc (assuming one steps up)
- Field Corner: Banks
- Boundary Safety: KJ Dillon (backup Jeremy Tyler)
- Free Safety: Worley (backup Jarrod Harper) (Worley may play some boundary safety with Dillon dropping down to another position, too)
- Spur: Karl Joseph, backups Tonkery and Petteway
- Buck: Golson with backup Gross
- Sam: Kwiatkoski, backup a redshirt freshman (Benton?)
- Will: Isaiah Bruce/Jared Barber
- DE: Kyle Rose, backup Eric Kinsey
- DE: Dontrill Hyman, backup Noble Nwachukwu
- NT: Christian Brown, backup Howard

OK, so this is fun. And I can make predictions for things like this. I think Bell, if he’s back on the team, is a safety and a juco starts at corner. I think Howard can beat out Brown. But that’s just me. Nothing wrong with the list. Here are the things I find intriguing about this: 1) What do you do with Isaiah Bruce? 2) Dillon can obviously play, but where? 3) Getting Petteway and Nana back is a sneaky underrated thing. They can play and probably play multiple positions.

Mack said:

If WVU stays healthy and guys stay on their natural trajectory . . . I think the defense can make a big jump in the overall rankings.

All of the starters that Sammy lists are pretty good.

One question: Is it just me or is Karl Joseph tremendously undersized to play at the spur spot?

I wouldn’t say “tremendously,” but he’s not what one might call “large” either. He’s basically the same size as Oklahoma’s Eric Striker, who Patterson thinks is about the perfect fit for that spot. And he’s bigger than Tyrann Mathieu.

Bobby Heenan said:

Great article, Mike. Thanks for looking into this and explaining how one position change has a big domino effect. I figured we’d move Joseph down to strong safety, but I’m definitely happy to see we may move him to spur. I think I’ve seen enough to know two things though: 1. he can play football well 2. he can’t play free safety well.

I think the Kwiatkowski/Bruce combo could be a very good core of inside LB’s.

I pretty much agree with Sammy with some minor things I think might be different….

I think Bell plays free safety, probably behind Worley on the depth chart to open the Spring. He played there for two years and isn’t terribly unfamiliar with it.

I don’t think Harper has the speed to play free safety. I think he backs up at strong safety or nickle back.

I’m not sure what the plan is for Isaac McDonald, but he has a rangy build and was a highly ranked recruit that redshirted last year. I figure he’ll get looks at strong safety and spur. They may try to put weight on him and put him at Buck, though. I’m not sure I’ve heard coaches comment on him so I’m guessing, obviously.

I like KJ Dillon, but he has been somewhat inconsistent. It wouldn’t surprise me if Tyler beats him out.

I think we need to talk a lot about Bruce in the spring. That position change didn’t take, and I wonder now why it happened. Harper has the look of a bandit, but I honestly haven’t seen or investigated much of him yet, but if he can’t play free, he can’t play nickel. McDonald is penciled in for that OLB/DE spot, kind of like d’Vante Henry was supposed to do. With that situation and moving Kinsey around, we never got to see that plan in action. That’ll be fun to see in the spring, too. I can’t decide if it’s a good thing or a bad thing to be talking about defense so much on a Holgorsen team.

Sammy said:

If it uncouth of me to note that if we move Joseph to Spur that means we’ll be playing a form of the dreaded 3-3-5? (Albeit not the 3-3-5 stack.)

Kinda sorta. Move Golson down and it’s a 4-2-5. Move, say, Dillon down and it’s a 3-4. Move Golson and Dillon down and it’s a 4-3. I say kinda sorta because that’s kinda sorta the idea. Deception by design.

I love you, Doug! said:

Joseph reminds me of what they used to say about the laser and Martin Short: An answer looking for a problem.

All three are wondrous in and of themselves, but (until Lasik and “The Three Amigos”), we didn’t really know what they were for.

Joseph had a tremendous season in 2012 because everyone was breaking through tackles in the front lines of the defense, giving him huge numbers, but he slipped this year. He seems too slow to cover receivers, but is a tremendous football player. Is he too small for Spur? Where do you put him?

Fantastic.

Karl said:

Having watched Big 12 ball for two seasons now, it’s struck me that one area where the Big East had an edge was in toughness, particularly on the defensive side. I see so few big hits anymore. It doesn’t seem to be valued by these Texas kids. Am I alone on this?

It’s valid, and the best players in Texas seem to be skill position guys in spread offenses, or defenders who are made to tackle in space, so there’s a correlation to consider, I’m sure. I think the offensive skill is better, and good enough to stay out of some danger. I think the defenders are faster and in better position. I think quarterbacks get rid of the ball really quick, so there are fewer sacks. And, again, I think a lot of plays are made in space where defenders can’t risk blowing people up and missing. The Big East was played in tighter spaces. Am I alone on this?

MontanaEer said:

It’s easier to hit slower targets.

I am not.

pknocker40 said:

It’s a Black & Blue League!

Enjoy the weekend, the holidays and the next two weeks!

71 Responses to “Friday Feedback”

“we have that one relative we can’t stand”

I don’t know who you’re talking about.

“WVU isn’t going to rid itself of home games. It can’t and it won’t. So what game disappears?”

William & Mary at Charleston?

3. Sammy says:

In re-reading the defensive depth chart, I realize how critical that nose position is going to be. Brown and Howard are maybe two of the more talented defensive players on the team… but neither has done much of anything to this point, due to injuries, inexperience, etc.

I know on third downs and nickel situations Patterson can move people around and play games with guys like Kyle Rose and Eric Kinsey, but on first down and 2nd and 3rd and short that’s a big boy position.

4. Sammy says:

Also let me throw this out, which is low probability but in the off chance it happens (and I actually think it somehow could), I want credit:

Andrew Buie is your starting… cornerback.

But how does one explain Buie leaving last semester? If he was going to convert to CB or try to get better at rb, you think the best place would be in Motown working w S&C and other coaches while red shirting. If he’s working out with the Jaguars at home, I doubt he’ll get any better.

Any chance Dustin sticks around? Is there a niche for him? Was the Bowling Green flash flood his 15 minutes? I hope not. I hope he finds a way and they make a 30 30 for him one day.

*30 for 30, not the rifle, not that there’s anything wrong w a 30 30 rifle, its a fine gun.

From the Brandon Watkins, In or Out string:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Mike, Erinn, and Lilo. Have lots of Turkey, Pumpkin Pie, and Milk Bones (and feel free to hide some here and there for safekeeping and future sniff searches) We,ll be thinking of you

Dann

hoot says:
    December 18, 2013 at 10:08 am

wow, things are getting a little creepy here this morning after that last post by
    Dann. I’ll just check back later.

Another thing:
    Where did all these asses that think they’re so clever, to the point of critiquing others comments for relevance? This a rather new phenomenon here, just a few months old. While we often disagreed on sports, hires and fires, and whatever, I don’t recall anyone prior to two or three months ago appointing themselves arbiter and interlocuter, even Mr. C.

Anyway, happy holidays to all, God bless us, every one!

DBW

8. This is my first Christmas away from home. Have always managed to make it back for the Holidays, but not this year.

Had to happen sometime, but it’s an empty feeling. Oh well, have to make the most of it.

Happy Festivus, y’all.

Enjoying one last tilt around the far side of the world — Christmas in Lombok, Indonesia, with the family, then home to the U.S. and A.

This will be fun, but there will always be a special place in my memory for the family road trip we took from W.Va. to Chicago when I was a kid. Pulled into a Holiday Inn on Christmas Eve somewhere near Toledo in a blinding snow storm.

Awoke the next morning to find no cars and no parking lot; only lumps under an undulating blanket of white; must have been two feet of snow. Magical for a kid. Now that I’m a Dad, can only imagine digging out the ol’ Delta 88 and plowing its V8-powered rear-wheel-drive down the Indiana turnpike in those conditions. That was heroic.

10. Brother X says:

I’m going to have to tie Mrs. Casazza down, “Clockwork Orange” style, and cleanse her of this Madea thing…that’s…no. I am dissapoint. I am very dissapoint.

saying it now – early – since I may not get back here what with holiday travel.

Be blessed this Christmas Mike and family and Happy returns to all the tier 4ers.

It’s been a nasty season what with all the losing – which does not bring out the best in us, but Tier 4 is mild compared to most – a real testament to the character(s) Mike attracts.

Won’t it be fun on here when we start winning?

Happy new year and new seasons all.

Clarence,

for different reasons, my Christmas will be largely spent without the family, I am sad for that and sorry to hear that you are alone for this usually joyous occasion. I’ll be thinking of you, if thats any comfort, and I know your family will as well.
    I’ll keep and eye out for you on line, who knows we might get some radical good news like Pitt or Syracuse getting toasted in a bowl game and share a few laughs.
    Happy Holidaze Cla’nce

Great Memory ILY Doug,
    Sort of took me back to deep snows of the late 50s and the 60s, a white blanket covering Mission Hollow, the telltale sound of tire chains out on the road when you first awake and hope that school is called for a day on the flexible flyer.
    The thrill of sliding down Cook’s hill at probably 50 miles an hour and the sound of ice crunching under the tires of Pop’s Mercury Monterey. What simple things evoke warm feelings for me at this point in my life.
    Sounds like you are creating some really unique and special Christmas memories in some remote corners of the globe, always heard it is gorgeous there. Let us know how its going, and be careful.

Brother X,
    I believe you may have found a site that is a bit too, shall I say; boring – for your tastes. Let me refer you to where all of the weirdos go; Facebook.com

Dann

13. netbros says:

Facebook is nothing but old farts anymore, trying to catch up. That bus left awhile ago. The cool kids these days are simply texting and msging on their smartphones.

I envision an entire generation 20 years from now with humped shoulders and crooked necks from constantly looking down at their screen.

And don’t even consider taking the device away, or hiding it. They go into withdrawal conniptions every bit as wonky as a junkie at the rehab. Their eyes bug out, their hands shake, they pace the floor and talk to themselves like Gollum.

All because Facebook sucked.

Just stay here on Tier 4. It’s safe. Happy holidays!

Clarence,

I can fed ex my mother-in-law up if it would help but I doubt it would.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and best wishes in 2014 to you all. I really do appreciate all of you, you too Dann. I don’t get much WV vibe here in Northern Virginia but y’all take care of that.

Almost Hell by Rugger T Nutcase

Country Road
    to ‘ol Salem
    Where I belong
    West Virginia
    Mountain momma
    Take me home Country Road

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and best wishes in 2014 to you all. I really do appreciate all of you.. I don’t get much WV vibe here in Northern Virginia but y’all take care of that.

There is an echo in here.

16. Parks says:

Been roaming the last few weeks but wanted to stop in and say merry Christmas to all you crazy Tier 4 members! Be safe in all of your journeys and I’ll see you in 2014.

17. hoot says:

“I guess you didn’t like my holiday greetings, Hoot; well, to be honest, I don’t give a……………………….hoot!

Another thing:
    Where did all these asses that think they’re so clever, to the point of critiquing others comments for relevance?”

Hey Dann….I was jus’ jokin’ around…Geez! Wasn”t expecting to get
    critiqued.

Merry Christmas anyway.

18. lowercase jeff says:

Dann – i do not have the background on any one specific incident, but as a veteran (though not as much as some), i think i can speak in a broad context about “asses”… we let it happen. and we’ve been losing. a lot. in both major sports. that’s usually when the freaks come out.

Anyone want to get on board with my assessment of this team that enflamed so many just a couple weeks ago? Last year, WVU was 7-5 after non-conference play was finished. Right now, WVU is currently 7-5.

This team is a lot more fun to watch than last year’s was . . . but it’s not a lot better.

Mack,

Any chance you can get me off of that Dibo Fan Club? I think
    I made a mistake. I thought you meant Dido.

Thanks.

Rugger

21. lowercase jeff says:

this team is a lot better than last year’s team.

22. hershy112 says:

^ Agreed

Agreed, also. Still, would be nice to see them win one of these games they “should” win. Potential ends at some point.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, commentariat!

Whereas last year’s team was a hammer to the thumb, this year’s team is a titty twister. That’s improvement but not what I’m looking for.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you Doug, and to secretariat.

Dear Hoot,

You weren’t critiqued, you were replied to. Hope you had a good Christmas.

Dann

27. avb31 says:

They are a lot better this year.

Category. 13/14 12/13

Scoring. 40th 209th
    Reb. 112th. 159th
    Fg%. 101st 287th
    Ft%. 176th 170th
    3pt %. 31st 275th
    Assists. 117th. 189th
    Steals. 199th. 104th
    Blocks. 263rd 141st

Source: NCAA Men’s Basketball Stats ESPN.

Improved in every category but two but only in the top 100 in 2 categories.

30. Foul Shot says:

4 straight years of mediocrity at best?
    Ouch. Not what I expected after that Final 4 run in 2010.
    Well, at least we have football to look forward to in 2014 (ouch again.)
    Happy New Year everyone!

“Any chance of them going 12-6 in the Big 12 to get to 20 wins and tourney bound?”

i think there’s a better chance that lcj uses all caps in 2014.

10-8 and 18-13 might be good enough (depending on who the 10 wins are against), but the more realistic goal is 8-10 and an NIT bid.

33. Drew says:

Maybe Tyler Perry will make a movie about Madea going to the NIT.

34. WVU304 says:

Mike, you must be beside youself that your wife would take part in something as risky as attending a Madea movie.

How much is it galling Marshall fans they didn’t get to play WVU in football this year? Even when we don’t play — WVU still wins!

BWA-hahahahahaha!

LOST: Beat writer, last seen in the vicinity of the Charleston Civic Center right before WVU – Marshall game. Male, friendly, comes when called, especially to those wearing loud and obnoxious sweaters, carries heavy frequent flyer miles and a laptop with poor wifi card. May or may not have lazy-man’s beard, may be hanging around rich food joints and micro-breweries.
    Reward, he is deeply missed by a rag-tag band of devotees.

wE HAve uR BEET riter he is oK fur now but he werent B if’n u dont rite in this hear sports bog tthat the Herd R the greatist!!!

Signed,

Osama bin Landon

gowe hurd

At that price, i suggest we let him stay with them. I can’t be a part of that lie.
    DW

By the way, i am in front of civic center for W&M game, no sellout for sure.

41. avb31 says:

Rugger says that there is a better chance of lcj posting in all caps than this hoops team going 12-6 in conference play.

I think lcj should become UPPERCASE JEFF should that happen. It would give us two things to root for. Each win a notch in the countdown to the introduction of UCJ.

With the first two Big 12 games being road contests at TCU and at Texas Tech, I think we can agree that:

If 2-0: Anything is possible
    If 1-1: Expect to see more of what we’ve already seen.
    If 0-2: Huggins will be in a bad mood.

I watched the Mountaineers dismantle the Tribe at the Civic Center, it was more of a scrimmage than a game. It did afford me some Grandpa time with my son and his stepson, something I sorely missed while living in NC for the previous 7 1/2 years.
    As a fringe benefit, the youngster wanted autographs so I was able to assist him in getting to the right spots to find the Mounties; post game.
    Right off, we noticed Kevin Noreen on the bus well ahead of his teammates, and sent a manager up to request his presence. He came right out, provided the autograph, and chatted with me about his brother’s career at Radford, as well as his senior academic status vs. his remaining year of eligibility next year. We found him polite, well-spoken, and appreciative of our having sought him out. His handshake was the kind you expect from an old soul – I was impressed.We also spoke with Remi (not much of a French accent present as he claimed to be resisting efforts to turn him into a hillbilly), Brandon Watkins (he lit up like a Christmas tree when I said he was becoming a force for the team), Eton Harris, Gary Browne, and Nathan Adrian (who had the hot hand on the threes).
    Not much of a contest, but a good day for an old fan, and a couple of not-so-old fans to watch the team roll and then have the opportunity to personally thank them. By the way, I doubted he would, but I saw Huggins roll up to a gang of young autograph hounds and sign-away, way to go, coach….
    DW

Correction: S:-) orry Eron, you were auto-corrected.

“His handshake was the kind you expect from an old soul”

Sometimes I wonder if Dann is just messing with all of us.

By the way, the top of the page for this very blog looks like crap lately. Is everyone having the same issue?

47. glibglub says:

The top of the page does look shabby, but then Tyler Perry makes everything worse, doesn’t he?

Since Mike’s gone . . .

What does everyone think about Geno’s season?

Personally, I thought he played a little better than anticipated. His fate will be decided on whether he gets better as the Jets players around him get better. He’s probably never winning a Super Bowl… and I’ll be somewhat surprised if he’s ever the quarterback of a team that makes the playoffs… but his season probably bought him another year as an opening week starter.

49. netbros says:

For the most part, Geno performed well (for a rookie) at home, and very poor on the road (with the exception of the last game in Miami). He has to get that fixed.

In St. Louis, Stedman did quite well when he got Tavon’s playing time because of injury. He was a factor in the last few games.

There have definitely been some changes in the scripting of the header for this page, I am also seeing changes in the layout of the “Leave a Reply” section at the bottom of the page. Probably a new guy is serving at webmaster for Charleston Newspapers and trying to express himself somehow.
    I’ve always been somewhat disappointed that there are no options for style, no emoticons, (I wouldn’t use’m anyway) and no option for sharing photos or files across the blog. Basically its designed to minimize bandwidth for CN and certainly that is a consideration for any business, I, above all, am just glad we’ve got this blog as I know you are too.
    Mack: Me, mess with you??? Hey- I wouldn’t do that. I would be hurt except I know you are reading what I type, just like I do in return. If there wasn’t some interplay of personalities here, not one of us would bother coming back.
    My feeling about the internet in general is; as far as you know, I could be your cousin, your boss, or your wife, you know only what I tell you. With some folks it quickly becomes clear that they are just who they say they are, with others – oh well – who cares.
    I, even at 64, try to just be excited about the ride, and the company I keep while taking it, and I happen to enjoy at least 95% of the company I keep on this blog. But messing witya’? Never Mack, never.