“…one of the better secondaries in college football.”

WVU reached its scholarship limit with Wednesday’s signing class, picked up a surprise offensive lineman and a rankings-boosting running back and addressed a bunch of needs by getting players whose hometowns are in 12 states and Washington, D.C.

In all, high schools and junior colleges from 11 states are represented in the class.

“I think it’s becoming more and more common across the United States,” Holgorsen said. “Look where guys are signing and it’s becoming more and more common to see guys leaving their home state to go other places. Our philosophy has been the same since I’ve been here: identify the local talent and do our absolute best to get them, focus hard on the surrounding states and go to the talent-rich areas in North Carolina, Atlanta, Florida, Texas and the junior colleges heading west.”

We can continue to talk about how the quarterbacks might help the offense or how the receivers and the offensive linemen might help the quarterbacks. It seems the Mountaineers are most pleased with what they did for their secondary.

“We can turn on the TCU film and show them the last two drives of the game where we have seven true freshmen on the field and I think three or four of them are in the secondary,” safeties coach Tony Gibson said. “Our deal is we’re going to play the best guy.”

A smart college coach is going to tell an impressionable high school or junior college player that the situation he’s about to enter may let him become one of those best guys. The Mountaineers have at least put the pieces in place by signing defensive backs DaeJuan Funderburk, Keishawn Richardson, Dravon Henry and Jaylon Myers.

“Those four kids are as good in a class at one time that I’ve ever been a part of,” Gibson said. “Usually you’re going to get one that’s maybe ready to play and you’ve got to develop the rest and maybe redshirt them and they end up being pretty good. But to be ready to step in form Day One and impact the football team, I think all four kids can do that.”

16 Responses to ““…one of the better secondaries in college football.””

Mike, If I send you a box of collar stays, can you get them to Dana?

2. Parks says:

uh, Mike…got any scoop on what Metro News is reporting right now? I don’t ready anything from those guys, but I was just sent a rather interesting text. Any insight?

3. Parks says:

That should say “I don’t read”

4. Kevin says:

I think I am less concerned about Patterson’s departure than the blurb that said Holgorsen had “identified an internal candidate to replace Patterson”.

5. Parks says:

Kevin–since you said it, I’ll jump in. I can’t fathom it being DeForest. I just can’t see it, or I don’t want to see it. My immediate thought was Mitchell or Gibson? I’m hearing DeFo’s name more than anyone else though. This is going to be interesting.

6. pknocker40 says:

But what if he wears his hat front-ways this time?

7. Parks says:

I don’t care if he throws benjamins in the air from the pressbox. I know he had some really questionable guys on his side of the ball and the whole co-defensive coordinator thing is always a gamble, but i just don’t trust it to work. I’m really hoping it Gibby.

8. Parks says:

and by questionable guys, I mean the coaches.

9. Kevin says:

Parks – I don’t know off the top of my head, but I don’t think we have anyone else who has been a DC before and I guess Holgy could argue that DeForest learned during that 1st year on the job and studied closely last year under Patterson, but that’s gonna be a tough sell.

Say you are Holgorsen heading into a year where he has to show improvement, can you take the chance with DeForest?

Mitchell was DC at ECU.

11. Kevin says:

For those who want DeForest to leave, Mitchell or Gibby being appointed might incent him to move on if someone will have him.

12. Parks says:

Kevin–I’m just purely speculating. Mitchell or Gibby would make more sense to me than putting DeFo back out there. The backlash alone would be harsh, I think. These are only my opinions of course. We just don’t have many guys to speculate on since the whole promote from within line was thrown in there.

13. Four different defensive coordinators in four seasons doesn’t bode well for an inconsistent defense…

Daryl Talley for LB coach! He’ll intimidate them into performing.

15. Parks says:

Patterson has always had our LBs. Now we technically don’t have a D-Line or LB coach. Not sure that we have anyone on staff currently that could fill both of those. Cogdell would obviously take one of them. Which now has me thinking…does Dunlap re-enter the picture? Isn’t he still “on staff” in the athletic department?

at least we can credit Patterson for waiting until after signing day

but not so fortunate for the kids – hopefully none feel like it was a bait and switch

all that being said, how many recruits was Patterson primarily responsible for?

in retrospect, I didn’t hear Dana mention his name much if at all yesterday

who’s the D coach? Gibson or Mitchell?

I do think Patterson was a good X and O guy. When Mike was sharing the matirx that the players were graded by, I thought that was impressive.

4 D coordinators in 4 years = lack of continuity = bottom half in the rankings (again)?

DH will NOT promote eFor$ to that job again. One thing – DH keeps learning on the job – one of these days he’ll be a fine HC