How WVU keeps the arrow upright

Who are we to argue with Mr. Harris? And really, had WVU’s biggest biggest flaw throughout the season not been its inability to sustain things? Big lead, close game. Hot shooting, scoring drought. Decent defense, extended rally by the opponent.

Monday night was something different: “How we played is how we’ve been trying to play forever,” Harristotle said.

Trigger the reply: Was that one crazy night, the sort of night that happens once every couple of years? Or was that the start of something the team has been building toward and promising was on the way?

How about neither?

The Mountaineers have won four of five and haven’t played poorly at all in the past six games. Sour patches? Sure. But nothing has been irreparable. The 25-point victory against Iowa State was, according to WVU, the continuation of something they started weeks ago.

“I think a long time ago was the start of something,” West Virginia guard Eron Harris said. “When we started this surge against Baylor, that was the start of something. Even though we lost to Kansas, that was still a good fight, and like I said before, we get Kansas again at home. But this started back when we were at Baylor. Things started clicking then and we’re getting better and better every time.”

Here’s the most interesting part, knowing the Mountaineers are not yet out of the thick of their schedule. They’re trending up. The stats, the individual performances and the RPI support that. You could argue maybe two other teams are doing the same: Kansas State and Texas.

WVU walloped the Wildcats and gets the Longhorns, winners of eight of the past nine games, Saturday.

And if you want to watch that game, you’d better find a Longhorn Network provider. WVU, by way of IMG College, asked the LHN to release the game to Root Sports or the Big 12 Network, because it’s a Tier 3 game. The LHN, an IMG entity, by the way, said no.

It’s not the first time Texas has done this, but it’s the first time WVU has been swallowed up by it.

23 Responses to “How WVU keeps the arrow upright”

Time to take to Tier 4 . . . and by Tier 4 I, of course, mean illegally streaming it.

Someone claimed that ESPN3.com would have it since it’s a Longhorn Network game. That sounded wrong when I first heard it and I imagine it is, in fact, wrong since Mr. Casazza has not mentioned it here.

2. Jeff in Akron says:

A few years ago it was a hot Texas team that made a last second shot to end the WVU basketball team’s season and the Pittsnogle phenomenon. At the time the announcer pointed out Mountaineer fans should take notice, it would be a long time before we’d see a team like that again.

It seems fitting that a victory against Texas could start a new phenomenon, the cards, stars, or whatever, seem to be presenting an opportunity.

Jeff, WVU played Texas earlier that same season and lost by a point in that game also.

wow – LHN threatened by a small market Roots station.

do they gain anything by not opening up a market in West Virginia for a one-off

and secondly

how did this game drop into Tier 3/LHN anyway when ESPN and others are hungry for programming?

5. JC says:

My guess is with the preseason projections of both teams being lowsy, ESPN let this game be shown on the LHN, figuring no one would really be interested. Doesn’t EPSN own or partially own the LHN? Couldn’t they allow it to be shown on ESPN3/WatchESPN?

6. jdwvu says:

once you put the game on espn3 or even root, and somebody with a directtv or dish can pick it up somewhere, it de-leverages the longhorn network in markets where they’re trying to get a foothold.

i think they could release it to the local affiliates in wv if they want it, would be the least they could do. but i guess maybe they think they can push satellite subscriptions to lhn in wv and maybe even get the cable companies up here to carry lhn if a wvu game might be on it on occasion

So our conference “mate” makes it impossible for us to see the game. With friends like that, who needs enemies? I guess the TAMU fans weren’t exaggerating.

Beat Texas!!!
    Horns Down!!!

8. Daniel says:

Wow. This seriously pisses me off. I’m already paying DOUBLE my usual DirecTV bill to be able to watch all the games. After March I’ll go back to my normal package. I’m now paying for all the movie channels (HBO, Cine, etc.) and not even using them. I’m paying solely for WV B-ball. WV should get the same game airings and options as every other team in the BigXII. Oliver needs to take action on this.

9. Daniel says:

I’m already being ripped off. I think I’ll call and revert back to my original programming package after this Saturday. If Oliver wants me to watch, he can do his fuggin job and make it as available to me as it is to all the other teams.

10. Daniel says:

Not to mention the recruiting aspect of all of this. I’ll shut-up now.

11. ffejbboc says:

LHN is not offered on Directv or Dish.

I don’t know if it’s available on Suddenlink, Cox, Time Warner, etc. or not.

I would venture a guess that very few people will actually get to watch this game.

12. Josh24601 says:

OMG “HARRISTOTLE”!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message me on FB, and I’ll send you a Tier 4 link. As-is, however, with no covenants, representations, warranties, or guarantees. It may or may not prove useful.

A little interlude at the risk of angering ted:

A man in London walked into the produce section of his local Tesco’s supermarket and asked to buy half a head of lettuce

The boy working in that department told him that they only sold whole heads of lettuce. The man was insistent that the boy

Walking into the back room, the boy said to the manager,

“Some old bastard wants to buy a half a head of lettuce.”

As he finished his sentence, he turned around to find that the man was standing right behind him, so he quickly added,

“and this gentleman kindly offered to buy the other half.”

The manager approved the deal and the man went on his way.

Later, the manager said to the boy,”

I was impressed with the way you got yourself out of that situation earlier, we like people who can think on their feet here,

where are you from son?”

“New Zealand, sir,” the boy replied..

“Why did you leave New Zealand ?” the manager asked.

The boy said, “Sir, there’s nothing but prostitutes and rugby players there.”

“Is that right?” replied the manager,” My wife is from New Zealand !”

“Really?” replied the boy, “Who’d she play for?”

15. MontanaEER says:

Hoe dare you tell a joke on here, Rugger. This is for true BLUE ADOL haters and HCDH haters and HUGGS-HAS-LOST-IT-phobes!

16. Daniel says:

I’m not an ADOL hater. But it’s already been very irritating to have to buy the package with all the movie channels in order to get the B-ball games, and now this. Maybe my anger should be aimed at DirecTv , where it was origionally, but you’d think Luck would be wanting to INCREASE viewership. Not chase away those that already want to tune in. Maybe it’s out of his hands, but I kinda doubt it. I know… I sound like Dave.

17. jdwvu says:

I liked the old days better when our bad conference games just weren’t on TV, anywhere.

18. The Artist Formerly Known as EER96 says:

Daniel:

Where do you stand on beer sales?

Dave

19. Daniel says:

LOL. I support the beer sales and non-re-entry into the stadium. But this B-ball broadcast deal has me fuming. I put a lot of thought into whether it was worth it to upgrade into the super-dooper package.

20. Welcome to the era of collegiate athletic TV rights. LHN is in the business of protecting its brand and it’s hard to fault them for that.

Make an exception and the window is cracked open. It’s a slippery slope.

That said, this sucks. As glamorous as the idea of big TV and big money sounds, this is how it operates in practice. It’s cut-throat and the fans are usually the ones who suffer the most.

21. lowercase jeff says:

the game will be online in dozens of places.

get a chromecast ($35) and watch it on your big screen.

ill post my email on gameday.

gracias lcj

or if you have a laptop or tablet with hdmii . . .

clarence

not sure – how the window would get cracked open/slippery slope. LHN has the rights and they could sell it for what ever price they wanted to whoever they wanted and pretty sure they don’t even have to play fair with everybody if they don’t want to

I don’t see any long=term loss in them seiling this game with their LHN logo to WVU affiliates who would then sell local advertising. Everybody makes more $$$.

Isn’t that what IMG is doing for WVU – marketing (and selling) us to other markets?

as lcj has noted, someone is gonna stream this game illegally so pirates gonna make a little $