Mister Christian, oh the time has come

Stop me if you’ve heard this one, but a former elite recruit who played at Pitt is transferring to .. West Virginia.

Following Rushel Shell southbound down I-79 is Cullen Christian, according to PathernDigest.com. Christian will be a postgraduate transfer, similar to Devon Brown and Charles Sims and Clint Trickett before him at Dana Holgorsen’s WVU.

Christian, who like Ryan Mundy is a Pittsburgh kid who comes to WVU after spending some time at Michigan, has an affinity for Tony Gibson.

“From the first time I met him, I knew he was a down to earth guy,” Christian said. “He relates to his players, he gets it. The main thing, he puts everybody on the same level. Whether you’re a senior or freshman, the guy who deserves to be on the field is on the field. At Michigan, he never laughed at me. He always kept it real. When I got to Michigan, everything was exactly what he said. Everything was good. I could pretty much trust him. That’s a unique characteristic to have of a coach.”

Christian was a prep star at Penn Hills and generally considered as one of the best cornerbacks in the recruiting class of 2010. It hasn’t clicked for him on the field, though. He didn’t like the “direction” of the Michigan program after the Product-Hoke transition and decided to leave after spring ball between his freshman and sophomore seasons. He wasn’t a major contributor at Pitt the past three years and two seasons. In Morgantown, where he might have two seasons of eligibility, Christian figures to add depth to positions of need in the defensive backfield.

14 Responses to “Mister Christian, oh the time has come”

1. glibglub says:

It’s good to be reminded that (You Can Still) Rock in America.

Mr. Christian, oh the time has come.
    You know that you’re not the only one
    To say, “Okay.”
    Where you goin’, what you lookin’ for?
    You know those Pitt boys don’t want to play no more
    With yoo-hoo-hoo. It’s truuuuuue.

He’s motorin’.
    What was his price for flight?
    We’re finding Mr. Right.
    He’ll be alright toniiiiight.

I’ll be here all week. Tip your servers.

Oh, Glib. Don’t Tell Me You Love Me. I don’t want to know.

4. overtheSEC says:

If anyone needs me I’ll be shirtless and lighting firecrackers while a drug deal goes down in the living room, but not before “Jessie’s girl” comes on and all hell breaks loose.

Where’s the Chinese kid?

6. Big Al says:

I don’t know CC’s circumstances at all, but I’m wondering how it is that he might have 2 season’s of eligibility left. It appears he has already had 1 year at Michigan, one year to sit out as a transfer to Pitt, and 2 more years at Pitt. One year at WVU would be his 5th year to get his 4 years of play in, wouldn’t it?

7. NotFooled says:

questions about last year as he only played in 2 games – not sure why that is – tried to google why he only played in 2 games, but couldn’t find anything

Mike – do you know why he only played in 2 games? Really no stats on what this guy has done in college

8. DanInNJ says:

Good to hear……at the least, he’ll provide much-needed depth and will probably play on special teams.

Love the quote about wanting to play in front of “big crowds.”

9. Does this mean that Tony Gibson is Mr. Christian’s Mr. Right?

10. chocolate covered bacon says:

Just read that Mr. Christian had a foot injury that limited him last season and he is apparently appealing for a medical redshirt.

I wonder if he chose WVU over Arizona State and Akron because of the all-you-can-eat pepperoni rolls on the new buffet for the football team. When the munchies strike, a player’s gotta have his priorities.

11. Philip says:

after having to explain april wine to a young colleague today, this just makes the perfect aor bookend.

Well I’ve seen it all here now, shades of John “The Wad” Holmes’ escapades, and a budding relationship with Glib and the Sheik.
    Seems this guy may be trying to be the first to take advantage of the six-year plan recently revealed in the new NCAA regs; wouldn’t this be covered by that?

Motorin’
    What’s the price for fight…..
    Finding………………….
    ……………………………

13. ffejbboc says:

A.B Brown…Eugene Napolean…Rushel Shell…Mister Christian.

So has WVU every lost a transfer to Pitt? Or does this river only flow in one direction?

14. Sammy says:

Signs with Michigan because of Tony Gibson, transfers to Pitt because of Tony Gibson, and then transfers to West Virginia because of Tony Gibson.

Says a lot for Tony, though I’m also guessing that Christian hopes that Tony is coaching somewhere in the NFL next year.

Hard not to like a 6’0″ former 4-star DB. Looks like he’d been playing corner but the Michigan and Pitt people seemed to worry about his speed, so Spur or strong safety seems like a good fit.