Additions! And otherwise!

Let’s reset the Gibson situation, which I did in a few subsequent tweets I won’t stack here.

He wasn’t on a pre-spring depth chart, which raised questions. The answer was he’d been away from the team for the fall semester and then had to be away again in the spring. That’s in line with being a partial qualifier, not unlike Elijah Macon, though we never got and never will get a true and offiial explanation

That said, the touted Gibson had a strange eligibility/qualifying hangup that WVU just disagreed with and tried to beat. I’m not positive that’s why the Mountaineers retained The Cleaner last year, but it makes sense. Whatever the circumstances, Gibson couldn’t play last season and wasn’t a part of team activities then or in the spring, as were his orders.

He stayed on scholarship. He never left school or quit the team. He was always in good standing. Now he’s back with the Mountaineers.

“He came out with a 3.0 (GPA) and is healthy and learning what to do,” he said. “He’s going to wind up at wideout and he’s going to continue to get better and better.

“Definitely, he’ll contribute this year.”

As for the Davis Twins, Chris and Demitrius are from Ohio. They signed originally with Pitt in the 2012 class and redshirted their first season before deciding to transfer after spring football before their sophomore year. They went to Kentucky and sat out last season and are on the move again.

There are all sorts of appeals and waivers out there, but I’m told the plan is for them to walk on and sit out the 2014 season.  They’re both said to be really fast, though, obviously, underdeveloped.

Finally, an update on the four yet-to-enroll recruits: Uhoh.

A year after getting everyone from the 2013 recruiting class enrolled and on campus, the Mountaineers will need great fortune to repeat that feat. (Seriously, the 2013 work is impressive.)

Defensive lineman Dontae Angus, receiver Jacob McCrary, defensive back Jaylon Myers and offensive lineman Justin Scott are not yet eligible to participate. Angus and McCrary are in line at the NCAA Eligibility Center and Scott and McCrary are still in junior college.

Angus and McCrary have a chance to make it, though it could be delayed. Scott seems to have some work to do, though he’s not out of the question. I have doubts we’ll ever see Myers, which is a shame because he can really play and would really help the defensive backfield.

Anyhow, if some or all of them aren’t there when practice starts a week from tomorrow, that’s why. WVU won’t let them show up if they can’t practice.

20 Responses to “Additions! And otherwise!”

This blog taking forever to load and get rid of the blue background that you can’t read any of the text . . . really is the worse thing on the Internet. Seems like something a 12-year-old with a geocities page would fix in an early afternoon but it continues day after day after day on here.

2. Mountiefan3 says:

Mike,
    What is the status on Shaquille Riddick? I know he is here, but he was waiting on course work. Is this going to be an issue?

3. Mike Casazza says:

Mountiefan3,

Nothing new. He’s fine. He’s here and lifting weights but can’t do any team stuff until he graduates from G-W, which should be soon.

4. If only for personal hometown nostalgia purposes, I love bringing in the Davis twins.

5. KeatonsCorner says:

Mountie

Riddick is finishing an online summer course to get his degree. Patience. He’ll be here

6. Oklahoma Mountaineer says:

I’m having the same problem as Mack — can’t come to this site unless I have 5 minutes for page to load and clear……..

The twins transfer is a no risk move if they come as walk ons, but the fact these guys can’t stick in a place suggests we will just be the next stop in their magical mystery tour.

7. hoot says:

a nasty virus got my Windows Office XP program (thanks Microsoft)…so I came back here this week with a brand new setup, and I’m getting the slow-load blue screen, too. Pretty frustrating, especially coming from this fine blog site. I would be more apt to blame the DM than Mike, though.

8. glibglub says:

The DM really should throw a little of that British Daily Mail money at the slow-load problem.

Last time WVU had brothers — Vernard/Vance Roberts — it didn’t work out so well.

10. Sammy says:

On one of the shows Dana said Crest will be “getting reps at QB,” meaning that Trickett will be the starter and Crest will get reps to develop for next year. I wonder who else will get reps, as that could provide some insight?

My guess is that Millard will still be the backup and Skyler Howard will get some throwaway reps here and there to keep him in the hunt for next year, and that Logan Moore will be the odd man out given that he’s a senior. I mean, if Trickett gets hurt does anyone think anything will happen other than that Paul Millard will be out there?

11. tls62pa says:

Hopefully that changes with the Davis’s starting this year, and the Adams’s next year, ILYD!

My own hunch… If Trickett gets hurt in the middle of a game then Millard will go out there. If we go into a game knowing that Trickett is out, then I could see Holgorsen starting a freshman quarterback if the quarterback looks good.

That’s pretty much what he did last year with Childress and Millard, no?

I guess so. I think it’s a lot tougher job to enter in the middle of the game than it is to start the game.

I thought of this when someone asked a question about Shaquille Riddick. How long until there are a ton of college athletes named LeBron? What other name is destined to proliferate throughout the landscape?

Oliver?

16. JAL says:

thanks for clearing up the Gibson situation. He was a top recruit and I wondered what happened to him. Figured for some reason he redshirted last season.

17. glibglub says:

I’m just glad we seemed to have mostly cycled through the uptick in the number of athletes with first names ending in “-tavious.” Martavious, Quantavious, etc.tavious.

18. JP says:

Personally, I’m hoping Crest reads his playbook 24/7 so he can catch up with Millard’s ability to run the offense

glib, I would be happy with the “-avious” names if they were Roman, such as “Octavius.” THAT would be cool.