With just a little help, Bradley fitting in at WVU

Forgive me if this is off by just one or two, but I ran out of fingers and toes as I tried to keep track long, long ago. Still, Tom Bradley has answered somewhere in the neighborhood of 300,000 questions about Penn State, The Scandal, his two years away from football, his return to the game, his new title, his new role, his new wardrobe, so on and so forth.

And he’s been genuinely and almost unbelievably gracious about all of it. You ask a question, be it in March or August, and he gives you a sincere answer.

Which is to say he’s been more helpful at the outset here than people were with him…

6 Responses to “With just a little help, Bradley fitting in at WVU”

Our coaching staff lost their poise at times last season. I hope Tom will help in that regard. How long can he work for a guy who makes 6x what he makes and knows 25% of what TB does?

2. Kevin says:

I’ve wondered how TB looks at the job at WVU. WVU’s location probably made it attractive to TB.

Does he feel that he is in the latter part of his career and wanted to stay fairly close to home without taking on a ton of responsibility? Or does he feel a situation with a coach that some feel sits on a hot seat presents a solid opportunity to him?

I am glad he is here. I think he can be a good recruiter for WVU and a good resource for Gibby.

3. JC says:

Most coaches are very confident, high ego, alpha males. I don’t see one of them on this staff leaning on him during rough times, using much of his past experience for their benefit, or relying on him for much more than his positional duty. Especially coaches on the other side (or two) or the ball. I’m not saying they shouldn’t, I’m saying they likely don’t/won’t…..

He’s here for the possibility of next year…..

4. avb31 says:

I really, really hope Luck doesn’t hire Bradley as HC if Dana is let go after the season. Career assistants are career assistants for a reason.

they’re alpha males but they also get teamwork better than just about anybody. they want to win more than they want to silo or solo. chemistry is always an issue with any team. winning cures a lot of the lesser evils. losing magnifies them.

none of us know what goes on in the coaches meeting room – but any coach worth his salt is going to pick the brain and learn from others – they borrow, they steal, they scheme, they get out little football men and play chess 11 on 11.

and the more they do this in the “boardroom,” the better the communication happens on game day, TG and others will benefit greatly from Bradley during the week. The verdict is still out on how that will translate in the heat of battle on any given Saturday.

But they all have a common cause – alpha male or not.

6. Karl says:

He looks so sad in this picture.