Wednesday Walkthrough: Alabama

Alabama is Alabama, right? And Alabama is kind of green. Good green, but still green.

ALABAMA HAS A DEPTH chart with 74 players on offense and defense. Thirty-nine are freshmen and sophomores. In a true two-deep, Alabama figures to have freshmen backing up at defensive end, cornerback, and left guard, plus a freshman — 6-foot-6, 320-pound Cam Robinson — starting at left tackle.

“I figured out he was the No. 1 player in the country and he was there all spring, so I don’t consider him a true freshman,” Holgorsen said.

According to Rivals.com rankings, the defensive end, Da’Shawn Hand, was No. 1 at his position. The cornerback, Tony Brown, was No. 4. The left guard, Ross Pierschbacher, was No. 8.

15 Responses to “Wednesday Walkthrough: Alabama”

1. MontanaEer says:

Will Bama be 2012-13 UK hoops or 2013-14 UK hoops?

2. Shoot4show says:

Thank you, sir. May I have another?

3. Karl says:

Good lord, ESPN seriously placed Trickett’s “first kiss” comment among the top stories on their home page. In their judgment, this is one of the most important sports stories in the world right now. What an embarrassment.

4. glibglub says:

To be fair, I suspect that considerations like “most important sports story” may not necessarily be the deciding factor in story placement by the folks at Bristol. I think there might be other criteria like “clickbait quotient” or “contains Nick Saban reference” which may override a story’s relative “importance”.

Karl, I respectfully disagree whole-heartedly. Were I editing that ESPN landing page, I would have done the same thing. Sports ain’t war correspondence or covering the Federal Reserve, though excellent reporters like Mike apply the same practices to his beat as they do theirs. Sports is entertainment and the Kissing Trickett item is funny and interesting. That meets my threshold. The great thing about sports is there’s room for Smart Football and Kissing Trickett. Unlike covering the Fed.

And glib is right — it is clickbait. But clickbait is just a pejorative word for “stuff consumers like.”

6. Anxiouseer97 says:

I’m fairly certain that Trickett’s infatuation with his hair was spawned by the kiss with Saban’s daughter.

7. glibglub says:

Kristen Saban might want to file away “Kissing Trickett” as a potential title for her memoirs. Or maybe the name of a garage band.

8. glibglub says:

“Kissing Trickett: My Life as a Coach’s Daughter.” Done. Slap a dust jacket on it.

9. Spatial Angel says:

Just when I thought this blog had maxed out on the erudite meter, ‘pejorative’ appears. We’ve gone to eleven.

Twelve for “erudition,” or the root form thereof.

11. Karl says:

I know what you mean, but even as far as clickbait goes, they’re selling pretty false goods here. This is not Sean Avery with his “sloppy seconds” remark. It’s a two sentence quote about a memory a kid supposedly has from when he was 6 years old. They’re hyping this up like it’s some incendiary thing that could impact the game.

12. glibglub says:

ILYD said: “Sports ain’t war correspondence or covering the Federal Reserve, though excellent reporters like Mike apply the same practices to his beat as they do theirs.”

Lord knows I get all my Fed-related info from a vlog featuring a guy in a pink track suit.

13. Been looking everywhere for a post like this, thanks! :)

14. Down South says:

Can’t we all just be thankful that when Clint mentioned the fact that Ms. Saban was now engaged, he didn’t follow it up with another “#TheseHoesAintLoyal”?

I knew those 70s ties would eventually come back in style. Disco lives!